Tuesday 16 October 2018

Guest Designer - Karen

Today we introduce our Guest Designer for the October Challenge
please say hello to Karen from Karen's Crafting Obsessions
who won the challenge back in August.





"I have always been creative, drawing and knitting then sewing as a child and young adult. I was taught how to knit and sew by my Mum, my Nan and my Aunts. As a child, I loved to draw a lot, but had to stop when I picked my O Level subjects. I love colour and pretty patterns and went from hoarding fabric to acquiring then hoarding pretty patterned paper. That obsession led me to card making and that in turn led me to stamping.  
I have created greeting cards for more than twenty years and I started because I couldn't find a card that I liked for my husband.  For the past four to five years I have been intrigued and then obsessed with mixed media. I particularly love to create mixed media canvases and home decor items.
I love mixed media and learning new techniques and skills with some of the same and some different products. Until this year I struggled with acrylic paints because I've used inks and watercolours for so long. I find acrylic paints difficult, but learning and improving my skills is something I am compelled to do, it is like it is part of my DNA!"












"I was inspired by the photograph of the family, the pumpkins and the cobweb on the tree branches and that inspired me to create a spooky Halloween canvas. I used a mix of stamps with acrylic paints and Tim Holtz Idea-Ology to finish my canvas. I experimented by stamping with acrylic paints, something I have not done before, but I felt it was the best way to get the look I was after. Full details with my step by steps are on my blog."


















Please do check out Karen's lovely altered canvas, we'd love for you to come back and share your project for the October challenge.

The challenge can be found HERE and is open until 11:55pm GMT on November 12th.

No comments:

Post a Comment